Sunday, 7 June 2009

If you like intellectual arguments...

For every Dawkins / Darwin website, there's a host of Christian websites refuting them.
For every poster or billboard that suggests there may be more to life, there's now one telling you there probably isn't.

From whatever side of the fence you fall on, you opt for the sites and arguments which prove your own point. That's human nature.

I have a friend who says she's researched 'God' on the internet and knows he doesn't exist. But did she even read the other side of the argument?
No.
Did she want to listen when I tried to share my view.
No.
Because she'd made up her mind.
No-one likes to be proved wrong. Especially me. It took a while before I, as a new Christian, dared to read the latest views of the ''opposing camp'' - I was genuinely afraid it would challenge my faith. Before I became a Christian, I thought they were people who, while putting on their Jesus sandals, also took a minute to leave their brains and intellects at the door of the church on the way in. I was amazed to find it wasn't the case.

I've read the other arguments now. I believe they are wrong. They are certainly challenging and on both sides there are questions which can't be answered.
But I believe, to be open-minded is to at least consider everything from all angles.
My friend says she is the open-minded one because she has researched all the evidence against God and has decided there is no more to life.
Full stop.
I think I am the open-minded one because, in the face of the research from all angles, I'm still open to the idea that there is more to life than that which can be scientifically proved.
Believe it or not, I love science - and I don't see why science and religion need to be be mutually exclusive...

Here's a link for those who like science and explanations and logic.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

No comments:

Post a Comment